Monday, January 26, 2009

Hints of Inspiration

"Advertising is legal lying."
- H.G. Wells

This is the year 2009. It's my last semester as a Junior in college. I'm 20 years old. I work two jobs and I make damn good money doing it. But it can get a little intense sometimes. For instance, I have been dozing off on the couch around 7 PM for the past two days. 

3:45ish AM - I wake up. I realize that I'm not in my bed where I should be. I peel the covers off me and embark on the long journey to my room. Okayyy it's not that long, but when you're practically a zombie it is. 

In the morning I wake up and, at first, I mistake the previous night's events for a dream. Then I pull myself out of bed and embark on yet another journey to the bathroom where I take one look in the mirror and realize that my alleged dream was nothing more than a slightly skewed version of reality. 

I really am pretty bad at beginning blogs. Perhaps this is why all of the previous ones have failed. It's not fair of me to say that I'm an avid blogger because I've never kept up with one of these things for longer than a few months. It's just that my life has been so crazy lately that I feel like I should be recording the emotions I've been experiencing. Emotions that come from different aspects of life - not just love and other intimate relationships. 

In the past few months, I have developed an unhealthy obsession with advertising. I love everything that is associated with it. Most people think that a job in advertising is all glitz and glamour: flying from this location to that location at the drop of a hat, ordering drinks on someone else's tab, attending endless board meetings in which everyone dawns a suit and carries a yellow legal pad with one of those slippery silver pens, etc. The truth is advertising really isn't all that glamorous. Things have to get done within a certain time frame - one that doesn't allow for much sleep, if any. Extensive research has to happen, several documents have to be composed, compiled, and compressed, presentations have to be well-organized and orchestrated, deals have to be discussed, and decisions have to be made. It's a cut-throat business and you're always on the go. 

And I can't see myself doing anything else with my life. 

If I can't find a boy to fall in love with, I might as well find a profession that I fancy. Doing this not only distracts me from the never-ending perils of singledom; it helps me accept my fate and move on to more productive things. The way I see it I can expend all the energy I'd use on building and maintaining a relationship on advertising! The more frustrated I become with my love life the better my ideas are!

So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen! My muse, my inspiration....the single life. Live it, love it, use it to your advantage as much as possible. 


1 comment:

  1. Keep up the blogging, I think your interesting. I understand about the being single forever thing. Its good to see intelligent young people in Beaumont. I assume you go to Lamar. Right?

    ReplyDelete